This beach, like the other four, is divided into sectors. West to east: Oboe, Peter, Queen and Roger.
Due to the sandbars and coastal reefs, ahead of Lion-sur-mer and Luc-sur-mer, as well as the importance of the German defences at Ouistreham Riva-Bella, the attack finally took place on a fairly narrow front ahead of Hermanville at the so-called «Breach» in the Queen sector.The 3rd infantry division of the British troops landed on the beaches of Colleville Montgomery, Hermanville and Ouistreham 6th June 1944. Hermanville is released at 9:30.
In the park of the castle, a company claims "the first tea prepared on June 6 by a British unit on this side of the Channel".
This guided tour of Sword beach stretches from Ouistreham to Luc-sur-mer.
Here is our provisional route:
- Starting point Parking Place Albert Lemarignier 14150 Ouistreham
- Ouistreham Saint-Samson church stop: 15 minutes
- Hermanville-sur-mer ride, stop and walk: 30 minutes
- Luc-sur-Mer ride, stop and walk: 15 minutes
- Douvres-la-Delivrande ride, stop and walk : 10 minutes
- Hermanville sur mer cemetery ride, stop and walk 15 minutes
- Ranville Pégasus Bridge
- Ouistreham ride, stop and walk: 20 minutes
- You will finish at Parking Place Albert Lemarignier Ouistreham